Saturday 19 April 2014

Tuck Shop Cake - Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook

So what do you bake your little Sis for her birthday cake?  Something sophisticated? Something stylish?  Oh no.  You think back to childhood memories and take inspiration from there.

So when I came across the Tuck Shop Cake from the Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook, I couldn't resist.  Especially as it features a Lemon Sherbet Buttercream icing, made from Sherbet Dib Dab.  We used to get one of these from the vending machine after swimming lessons many moons ago and eat them on the way home in the back of Mum's Austin 1100.

A simple cake batter has chocolate M&M's added.  I only had mini Smarties, as I could not for the life of me find M&M's other than the peanut ones.




Bake for 20 minutes at 160c in a fan oven until nice and golden.




You have to turn the cakes out quickly so the M&M's don't stick to the bottom.  I think M&M's would make a much more colourful look, as in the book.




Whip up a buttercream icing and add 2 packets of Sherbet Dib Dab.  The recipe asks for 1 packet, but I wanted more fizz!

Sandwich together with half the icing, then pipe the rest in a nice pattern and adorn with Jelly Babies and Dolly Mixtures.  Simples!


 

Pack it into your cake tin and whisk it off for a picnic at The Vyne, Basingstoke. 

Perfect for a day out with the family and enjoyed by all including my niece, Ellie, who is just taller than the tulips!

 
 
Happy Baking!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment