Friday 22 March 2013

Raggy Jo's Summer House Picture Quilt

Way back in March of last year I went down to the lovely Cowslip Workshops, just outside Launceston in Cornwall, for an applique weekend.  The project in hand was a little picture quilt that could be used as a wall hanging and the technique was needle-turn applique.

As you can see I came back home with a good start on the quilt.




Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, my little quilt sat unloved and not worked on for quite a while. 

Not so any more!  I've finally got around to finishing off the picture, adding the wadding and backing fabric and putting on a nice edge.  I'm really pleased with it and it will take pride of place on the wall in our spare room.



Last Sunday, my Mum and I took the train to Brighton and spent a lovely 4 hours at the Brighton Sewing Centre doing a Patchwork & Quilting workshop, run by the lovely Liz.  You had a choice of simple designs to try, which could be made into a cushion or enlarged into a quilt. 

We opted to have a go at a 'Disappearing Nine Patch Block'.  You take 9 equal squares and sew them together as shown at the bottom of the photo.  By then cleverly cutting this block into 4 pieces and re-sewing, you create a totally new pattern.


I've had the cupcake fabric for a while and couldn't quite make my mind up what to do with it.  Its going to make a fantastically bright lap / cot quilt that I plan to give away........ if I can bare to part with it!

Happy sewing!

8 comments:

  1. There are never enough socks. They are my favourite projects. But quilting is great too. have a nice weekend. Regula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty quilt, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's turned out beautifully Scube I bet you're so pleased :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful wall hanging. It should be in a place of pride to show it off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your summerhouse picture quilt is gorgeous! Glad you got it finished and now you can just stand back and admire it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cottage quilt look fantastic! I really need to get past myself and give quilting a try. I love the way they look. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful quilting! I've been trying to do a little hand quilting on the side of my knitting and it is moving very slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks ladies for all your lovely comments. I've just spent a week in South Devon with no internet, so my sock knitting has been coming along nicely!
    Get quilting - its just as addictive as knitting!

    ReplyDelete