Tuesday 5 June 2012

Jubilee Union Jack Fondant Fancies

Now, I'm not an overly patriotic person.  Yes I'm proud to be British, but you won't see me flying lots of flags for big events, such as the Royal Wedding or the Jubilee.  However, spurred on by a street party in our road yesterday, I thought I would make my own little baked attempt at a Union Jack.  Trawling through the web, I came across these brilliant looking Union Jack Fondant Fancies and just couldn't resist giving them a go!

I made sure my butter was nice and soft this time and it does make such a difference to the smoothness of the batter.  Its also less likely to curdle when you gradually add the eggs to the creamed butter and sugar.  I only added a splash of milk to loosen the batter a tad. 




The recipe doesn't stipulate what size eggs to use, so I chose medium eggs and the batter looked OK to me.



Also I only have round cake tins or loaf tins, so I used 2 x 2lb loaf tins instead of a 20cm square tin and it worked a treat.




The cooking time was only 24 minutes, so a bit of a result.



The cakes were allowed to cool and then cut in half horizontally.  You then drizzle on the lemon sugar syrup.  I thought is was a good idea to put the clingfilm under the cake before I did this as I didn't want to waste any syrup!  Topped with the butter cream and then the strawberry jam and sandwiched together, before being chilled for a couple of hours.



Mine only got chilled for about 1 1/2 hours as they had a party to go to!  Topped with a mango & lemon conserve to bind the marzipan to the top, each cake was cut into 12 pieces and popped into Jubilee paper cases.



And here's the the yummy butter cream and jam filling.........




I decided to coat the fancies with the fondant icing in the paper cases, as I just couldn't get the icing on without it dribbling everywhere, including down me and I hate wastage.  Plus how they got it nice and smoothly down the sides I do not know.  I put my icing in a piping bag which did help control it.




However, as I was more interested in creating a white top for my Union Jack, I didn't worry about covered sides.  All I can say is thank goodness I saved a couple back for my Mum to try, as they disappeared faster than you can say 'Fabulous Fondant Fancies'!

My little salute to Queenie.  I think she would approve!



Happy Jubilee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment