Thursday 3 May 2012

Malinky's Swedish Chocolate Cake

Well, as you may have noticed I got a bit carried away last week blogging along with many others in the 3rd Annual Knitting & Crochet Blog Week.  I've come across a fun new group on Ravelry called The Blog hub, funnily enough for all those bloggers / knitters amongst us.  So having now taken a suitably long breath between posts its about time I gave you some luscious cake to oggle at!

Whilst up in Yorkshire I just had to make my Sis a belated birthday cake (Like I needed an excuse!) as I'd been wanting to try Malinky's gorgeous looking chocolate cake.  Having been suitably chastised when I suggested substituting the treacle for Golden Syrup (I had a tin needing finishing you know), I collected all the ingredients together, carefully weighting out the dry ingredients to avoid taking big bags of flour, etc and popped in the box for the car journey.  Being a bit odd, I also took up a batch of Sleepless White Dough, so it could prove on the journey from South to North and be ready to bake in the morning.  Time efficient me! 



I had to make up for the previous batch of bread I'd made which had over-proved.  Arghhhhhhhh!  I didn't believe it was possible to over-prove a loaf, but just a few minutes (OK, half and hour or more) too long and the gluten structure just collapsed around the edges.  I still baked the loaves, as I hate wastage and got some great splats.  Still they tasted OK toasted!

I digress!  Back to the cake.  Its based on a traditional Swedish family recipe and I used duck eggs for my cake as I like their richness for baking.  As cooking in a unknown kitchen which didn't have measuring spoons I guessed the treacle amounts, so may have been a bit generous.  Added to the moistness.  I totally forgot to snap a picture before I popped it into a lined 23cm tin and cooked it in a static 170c oven for 40 minutes.  Can you spot the 'phantom photographer'?


 
Once cooked its allowed to cool completely.....................................................




Then covered in lashings of Nutella and adorned as desired!





And then dive in!  Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Whilst doing an Amazon shop I just happened to acquire a copy of this old baking book, Jim Fobel's Old Fashioned Baking Book.  Now this should give me good recipes for Pie!  If anybody has tried some of the recipes I'd love to hear from you :)

Happy baking!

Malinky's Swedish Chocolate cake
Batter:
6 oz (170 gm) self raising flour or Plain flour + 2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
5 oz (140 gm) sugar
2 tbsp treacle
2 large eggs
3/4 cup (180ml) sunflower oil
3/4 cup (180ml) full fat milk NOT skimmed Milk

Icing/Topping
1x medium size jar of Nutella - must be this not any other kind of chocolate spread as this is made with hazelnuts.
You could make your own chocolate ganache - but it is a bother and Nutella is great quality.

Method:
Sift flour, cocoa powder, and sugar into a mixing bowl. Then add the treacle, eggs, sunflower oil and milk onto dry mixture and stir for about 3 minutes or until ingredients are thoroughly mixed together.

Pour into a greased and floured baking tin.

Bake in 170C (325 F) oven for 45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed.

Leave it in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out to cool.

Ice the cake with the Nutella when it is completely cool.

Store in an airtight container. This cake is nice eaten right way, but gets even more moist if left overnight and eaten the next day, if there is any left!!

6 comments:

  1. Cake looks fab. Ssh don't tell Lydia but I've made it with Golden Syrup and Maple Syrup as I couldn't get any treacle! Still tastes fab. Your sis is a lucky girl x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! I promise not to tell the Swedish Baking Police :-) I got to eat the makings too, so it was a win win! May well give the GS version a go too, thoughI do now have a tin of treacle to finish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are naughty! I'm sure treacle would be better. Do love new recipes though and so do my kids!!!

      Delete
    2. Watch out for a pistachio and coffee cake recipe offering then. Be up in a few days - its a winner! First one disappeared before I photographed it so will just have to make another :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds great. I was planning to make chocolate brownies today but now I am tempted by this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a really easy and quick cake to make and stays moist for a couple of days. I'm sure it would stay moist longer but its too moreish. Let me know how it goes :)

      Delete