Sunday 29 April 2012

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week - Day 7

Crafting Balance
Are you a knitter or a crocheter, or are you a bit of both? If you are monogamous in your yarn-based crafting, is it because you do not enjoy the other craft or have you simply never given yourself the push to learn it? Is it because the items that you best enjoy crafting are more suited to the needles or the hook? Do you plan on ever trying to take up and fully learn the other craft? If you are equally comfortable knitting as you are crocheting, how do you balance both crafts? Do you always have projects of each on the go, or do you go through periods of favouring one over the other? How did you come to learn and love your craft(s)?
3KCBWDAY7

Wow, a whole week gone already, wibbling away about knitting.  So for my final K&C Blog week post, I offer up a little Sock Monkey for you to giggle at before I start wibbling again  ...................




Well, I would most definitely call myself a Knitter at heart.  This is the craft I find most enjoyable, relaxing and satisfying.  Having said that I've certainly dabbled in crochet and could whip up a Granny Square without too much trouble, after referring to one of my crochet books for stitch tips and reminders of course!

I would be more likely to go on a course for crochet, than knitting to advance my skills.  I first learnt to crochet at a Taster Day, run by Thistle, my local yarn shop.  I spent a rather frustrating 2 hours trying to master a basic flower corsage.  I persevered and finished it, but lets just say it didn't 'ignite' my crocheting fire.  Not one to be deterred I bought a book and bumbled through teaching myself the basics.

So currently I have two newish crafts complementing each other in one project.  I'm in the process of crocheting my Hobo Blanket with my own hand spun yarn.  I'm a newbie spinner too and its a great project to use up your erratic thickness hand spun.





But if you ask me what I'm crafting at this very moment (OK when I finish typing!) it would of course be sock knitting.  Just finishing sock no2 for Niece Ellie's ickle socks :)





6 comments:

  1. I am yet to spin - I have a lovely drop spindle but haven't really mastered it. I feel so inspired by all the spinners I've read about this week that I think I'll rescue it and have a go!
    Loving the socks too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a drop spindle but a bit cack-handed with it. I was then very lucky to acquire an Ashford Traveller Wheel at a good price and I love her. So nice to knit up something you've spun yourself!

      Delete
  2. Great to see Ellie's sock become 2! That's going to be a gorgeous blanket and you'll remember every part you spun too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy. Its coming along slowly, but with much character :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. I think I can quite safely say, it is my favourite colour. My stash and garden certainly reflects that :)

      Delete